.Net 3.5 Compatibility

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Any way to drop compatibility to 3.5. I know you mentioned there';s really nothing that .Net 4,0 would provide for this library. I'm using it inside SSIS and it requires 3.5.

Any help or downgrading to 3.5 is appreciated.

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I just looked into the matter.

Most assemblies can be reduced to 3.5 by implementing some minor methods.

The only assembly which will require some doing is unfortunately the Imap.dll, I use several methods and properties inside the linq parser when generating the surrogate LINQ expression.

Unfortunately these can't just be reimplemented due to missing information, I'm sure there are solutions, but they would require changes in very sensitive areas.

• LambdaExpression does not publish its return value type in 3.5, currently the type is needed to create the surrogate LINQ expression at runtime.
  • Expression does not have an Update method, which is currently used to overwrite the users LINQ expression with the runtime constructed surrogate.

If I find solutions to those two issues I will be able to reduce overall dependency to 3.5.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Well, I just hope that you can do it. Otherwise not that you care), I will have to switch out to something like IMAPX library. I really hope you can find a way soon. I'd rather go with yours due to your amazing response.

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I'm sure I will at some point, but I also feel to inform you that this compatibility issue is not high up on my to do list.

Before I can address the nice to have's I need to implement the must have's.

The list is not long, but I'm currently very short on time and fixing these two means digging into some really weird and unknown .NET blogs since this is not a run-of-the-mill kinda issue many developers have to cope with.

Perhaps someone who's smarter than me can help, I could post my questions on CodeProject or on similar sites, if I get a solution the implementation could be fast and painless.